Saturday, May 28, 2005

Fishing Plans Flourish in a Cyber Age!

I just spoke to friend and Jupiter fishing legend Captain Butch Constable last night about some upcoming collaboration. We both discussed our respective tarpon seasons. I'd already released 16 fish with over 4 fish topping 100 pounds...all this since March 10th, and on a very part-time basis. Butch mentioned that their tarpon and snook season seemed to be running a bit late. Generally, by now, Butch has his Lake and Bay along the beaches flycasting for silver kings. After our talk, I went to various websites, but the major one for the tarpon question was www.oceanweather.com/data. This site shows sea surface temperatures, crucial for a tropical fish like a tarpon. It was clear that Miami had considerably warmer water than Jupiter and provided some data that seemed to make sense.

Before I shoot out to the flats-outside salty sandy ones, or inshore brackish grassy ones, I like to check for sky weather, current directions, and wave directions. The websites I use for this are:

www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl -This site gives it all, including marine weather. I need to check the satellite images and radar for weather systems.

http://iwave.rsmas.miami - This gives wave characters that I think are relevant even inshore.

www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/florida - Ditto for the above site.

By the time I'm done with these inquiries, I have a better idea of the water world I'm venturing into on any given day.

Please double-check the exact URL's for these websites. They could change or need additional refinement.

Jan

No comments: