Saturday, April 14, 2007

Field Test Results- Okuma Aveon Spinning Reel


I've started off the bonefish season with a new complement of spinning reels from Okuma Fishing Tackle Corporation. The specific reel I chose was the AE-40 Aveon aluminum spinning reel- and I'm delighted I did!

This reel performed remarkably. The first thing that I noticed was the incredible casting distance(s) I was getting. I believe that the long spool design as well as the even way the line laid on the spool were responsible for this.

On the two bonefish hooked yesterday, the Aveon's drag system worked beautifully and was smooth as silk. I always watch the rod tip as a smooth drag indicator and on this impressive reel, the rod tip stayed bent, but absolutely still! I liked the way the drag adjustment worked on click-increments, making me feel this reel was like a Swiss watch.

There were three other features that made operation of this reel delightful. The infinite anti-reverse as well as rapid retrieve ratio made "coming tight on the strike" quite easy; it also helped during the fight to get in as much line as possible per turn of the reel handle. The grip handle on this reel was extremely comfortable, ergonomically efficient, and a pleasure to use all day.

Flatsfishingonline.com will be filing more field reports on the Okuma spinners as well their baitcasting (plug) reels. The latter models will be given the requisite workouts as the flats tarpon season unfolds. I also plan on testing these products outside Florida in Belize and Christmas Island.

Jan

No comments: