Friday, October 19, 2007

Resumption of SOFLA Fall Fishing.....

The last three weeks had taken me away to some wonderful destinations: South Seas Island Resort at Captiva Island, Fishermen's Village at Punta Gorda/Charlotte Harbor, and Gamboa Rainforest Resort in Gamboa, Panama. Week number four left me free to resume my pursuit of what was left of the fall mullet run that began to traverse the shores of the Gold Coast about a month ago.

Since the summery weather persists with today "arriving" partly cloudy with some showers and south-southeast winds of 15 m.p.h., I chose to fish the bridges of north Biscayne Bay at night. I'm glad to report that some mullet were still in evidence, though their density and distribution differed from bridge to bridge. In my lure choice, I matched the hatch by using swimming plugs. By the time my sweaty wee-hours efforts came to an end, I'd released a large snook of about fifteen pounds and a tarpon of about thirty pounds.

It's midday now. My glance outside affords me a view of palm-filled greenery baked in bright sunshine and basted in the almost-visible moisture of a humid back-to-summer day. I'm longing to see the southbound buzzards fill our skies and make circles over Miami, while the wind winds up and pitches a cool delivery out of the northwest.

Jan

No comments: