Saturday, January 21, 2006

Unfashionable Disclosures


No, it won't be anything like Frey's "memoirs", although an angling author could forget his own foibles and play journalist and interview one of his target gamefish-like a bluefish with an obvious binge-purge problem. We might call it " A Million Little Pilchards."

This disclosure, is, in fact, a real fact and thoroughly owned by me: I'm simply hooked on plug tackle. The old thumb and revolving spool setup with ten pound line and a bucktail has been my first choice for as long as I can remember. I have caught every flats species on this tackle, except the Indo-Pacific Golden Trevally and Milkfish, although with the latter species, I'm working up a hairball style lure (NOT!).

As my friends gaze bemuzed at this stubby outfit while they blast off 60 foot spin and/or fly cast presentations, I'm content with whizzing off a 40 foot presentation, which had done the trick with almost all species. I simply like the crisp feel and efficiency of plug tackle. It looks less impressive on TV shows or still images, so then I stick with a species that takes a surface swish plug like a Devil's Horse, pop it a few times and let the games begin! What is truly amazing is plug tackle's rarity in Florida's flats...why? Search me!

Jan

No comments: