Friday, December 22, 2006

A Fine Day...

My good friend, Captain Jon Cooper, and I picked it right as we ventured into South Biscayne Bay today. The last week of fierce onshore winds died down enough to make a soiree on my sixteen-foot Hewes Bonefisher quite doable.

Jon and I had superb nonstop action on ladyfish to three pounds along with a few fat seatrout: the large live shrimp of November were just the ticket! As we drifted along, I hooked a tarpon weighing around sixty pounds. Although my only leader was a double line, I was able to get the fish on the leader after thirty minutes. The silver king fought spectacularly with an initial series of about a dozen greyhounding leaps.

After that, we ran to the flats for our remaining hour of fishing. The skies were cloudy and the winds were gusting to twenty knots. When we got a dark cloud behind our chum, visibility picked up. I spotted one large bonefish bolt in, then out of the chum. Ten minutes later, I hooked and released a ten-pound bonnethead shark.

Then, time to go in for chores and such- all in all, a fine day!

Jan

No comments: