Sunday, July 01, 2007

Stormy Weather- Sunny Weather...

A huge expanse of bad weather is crossing south Florida, reducing dawn’s light to a faint suggestion. It’s “bad” for many reasons. Not simply for the danger of being under the leaps of its killing lightning-strike tentacles, but bad because its dark fullness, high winds, suddenly freezing air, and earth-shaking growls of thunder force those of us (brave enough to truly behold it) to sense that this behemoth is simply up to no good.

Under the “influence” of this weather, the NOAA forecast, as well as a big bag of chores grown full from being away, I started the day with errands and paperwork. I parked myself in front of my PC around 9 a.m. As I poured myself a second mug of fresh-brewed Columbian coffee, I gazed out the window and noticed the colors on the trees going from gray to green. This change was enough to send me out to the balcony for a solid gaze aloft which revealed that the stormy expanse was evaporating in a dancing battle with a now-grown-stronger, lemon-colored blast of growing light and ambient heat from the sun. Patches of blue sky that were obscured by the gray and black muscles of the storm were now appearing as each passing minute chronicled the figure fadeout of the big bully-kind of like the slow surfacing from a night of troubled dreams.

Twenty minutes later, the sky was bright blue and cloudless. I found myself frustrated and wishing that the weather change I had witnessed would have occurred in the inky night- perhaps then, I’d have easily been in the right place in my boat on the bay, oh-so-ready for a probable dawn tarpon bite. But that’s fishing and weather, after all- as the carny man said, “ you take your chances!”


Jan

No comments: