Friday, September 14, 2007

The Fall of Summer...

This morning I almost needed a jacket as I swept through the predawn hours in search of migratory action. I started plugging a school of whitebait and caught some jacks. As dawn's light developed and lit the waters, I saw a tarpon make a fast roll. I throttled back and anchored in the area. I know from experience that one roller can betray a hundred fish below. My recorder verified that the fish were on the bottom. Deep jigging produced no results. I then chummed the area thoroughly and then fished mullet on the bottom. In two hours, I jumped two fish and released four fish from thirty to seventy pounds. A bit later while the sun rose, the wind shifted from northwest to southeast and the action slowed- an excellent Indian Summer morning.

Earlier in the week, my friend Captain Jon Cooper fished the beaches off Haulover in twenty-foot deep water. Jon found a huge school of large ladyfish with predators hitting all around them. Jon tossed in some live mullet and hooked some large sharks that spooled his light tackle. He also released a big barracuda and kept a fifteen pound cubera snapper that he caught under the ladyfish.

The clouds are still towering and cicadas are making their whirring chirps in the heat, but little by little, is fall's migratory madness approaching?


Jan
http://www.flatsfishingonline.com/
http://www.fishingfloridasflats.com/

No comments: