Friday, July 11, 2008

Tropical Beach Resort/Roatan/Honduras Images by Jan S. Maizler

These images were from a trip Photographer Art Blank and I made to Roatan in 2004. Our captain was Kevin Bodden and our lodge was Tropical Beach Resort- we could not have gotten a better guide or place to stay. Though Tropical Beach Resort is no longer in operation as a flats fishing and diving destination, my memories of TBR's owners, Rod and Jean, nourish my world of angling experience. I have not spoken to Kevin in quite some time, though it is not for the lack of trying.

During our four days of flats fishing we caught 7 bones, 3 tarpon, 3 snook, 2 boxfish, and 1 permit. We saw many, many permit every day when we went to the southeast side of the island near Morat. I lost a large parrotfish as well as a large permit when they both took off over the rubble reef and out to sea, cutting me off on the coral heads quite easily. We also saw many tailing triggerfish, but never managed to hook any.

Roatan is a wonderful destination offering mountainous backdrops to the flats fishing, lush forest, some of the world's best diving as well as very friendly people- I love it there!


Jan














































































































No comments: