Friday, February 25, 2005

The Return of Spring Bones to Biscayne Bay

Although a front was on its way, I did fish this Friday morning on the SE oceanside of Key Biscayne adjacent to a deep water channel. Although there was no overhead light, and murky water, a swift incoming tide brought in warmer water. I just soaked some shrimp in front of my chum tube, and had caught and released 2 bonefish to 7 pounds in the first half hour. Some explosions in the channel took me away from blind fishing. Out came the plug rod and Spro white bucktail tipped with shrimp...non-stop action on jack crevalles to 5 pounds for the next hour.

If the weather stays warm, there should be more bones on the inside flats, and they'll also forage into skinnier water. It was good to get this Spring flats preview this morning. Unlike fashionable flats fanatics, I'll fish bonefish almost anyway I can catch 'em. I do not want "shots"- I want successful hookups, catches and releases.

Jan
www.flatsfishingonline.com/

No comments: