Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Sandy Point, Abaco

Ever since I fished Abaco's Sandy Point, I became satisfied it was all I needed. Hard wadeable bottoms with tan-colored sand, and great visibility. I have stayed at Rickmon Lodge and fished many times with Captain Ricardo Burrows. The closest flats are sixty seconds by boat right from the Lodge, and I have seen schools of tailing fish numbering in the hundreds within sight of the Lodge. For those that like remote spots, Ricardo can run you to Gorda Cay or Mores Island, weather permitting, in his new ActionCraft. Getting to Abaco keeps you flying on the more relable American Eagle and Gulfstream/Continental flights.

The food and beverages at the Lodge are great and you will not be disappointed. There are also lots of sharks to catch on ultralight gear, as well as muttonfish to be jigged out of the channels. Ricardo is a classic Abaconian: friendly, reliable, and well-bred. Rickmon Bonefish Lodge is on my list of permanent bonefish destinations.

Jan Maizler
www.flatsfishingonline.com/

No comments: