Saturday, October 28, 2006

Fall's Realization at Self-Assertion...

As a full-fledged front sweeps the state of Florida-its "foot" giving a little taste to the Yucatan Channel as well-the fishing is changing in SOFLA. It's now a windier, cooler world down here, with daylight savings poised for another clock change and as jack o' lanterns go up in the windows and porches of traditional Americanos.

My scouting trip yesterday in North Biscayne Bay was a sour soupy enterprise and yielded few happy discoveries. Prefrontal winds were up to 20 mph and the Bay was baitless from Haulover to Government Cut, save a patch of finger mullet tucked up into the lee of a Miami Beach indentation. All of that had me rethinking that better plans would have inculded catching the incoming tide at Stiltsville for bonefish. I took refuge in the mantra, "such is fishing", but wondered whether that self-utterance wasn't becomimg my consolation prize of the last two weeks.

That said, I headed to the grass flats in the hopes of some action. The final results were a few nice seatrout that would only strike fresh pinfish fillets. I was glad that hair hooks, split shot, and a bit o' bait are always part of my North Bay kit!

Jan

No comments: