Monday, October 15, 2007

Back from Gamboa Rainforest Resort...

In a delightful whirlwind of three days of fishing, dining, eco-trekking, and adventuring at Gamboa Rainforest Resort, I'm jazzed! The fishing from the Chagres River and well into the Panama Canal was excellent! I fished with Captain Benjy Serrano and eco-guide Nodiel. My personal release results of 47 peacock bass to 6 pounds, a chunky freshwater snook, countless crappies and a rare sabalo pinton on ultralight 4-pound spin were spiced by sightings of loads of white-faced capuchin monkeys, manatee, otters, coatimundi, and passing flocks of bright blue butterflies.

The best part of this fishery is that there are no painful, multi-legged, and time-consuming forays into the Amazon. Gamboa lies only less than an hour outside of Panama City, Panama! I literally hopped a plane from Miami to Tocumen airport, where I was picked up by an air-conditioned Gamboa Resort van, and was fishing and hooking up on peacocks two hours later.

The lush jungle that surrounds Gamboa Rainforest Resort ( http://www.gamboaresort.com) was striking, vast, and replete with exotic plants and birdlife. It seemed at times I was fishing at the dawn of earth's creation.

The resort's physical plant, landscaping, accomodations, cuisine, services, activities and amenities are absolutely first-class. I'll be writing about of all of this and more shortly. But for now, my thanks and hello to new lifetime friends Edgar, Luis, Chicho, Katarina, Benjy, Nodiel, and of course, Holly!


Jan
www.flatsfishingonline.com

No comments: