Saturday, February 23, 2008

Advent of The Magic Bus.....

I have been a Spro (http://www.spro.com/ ) bucktail devotee for years now. As I've said before, the life-like pulse of the skirt dressing, realistic head and huge eye, hookeye placement, and razor-sharp Gamakatsu hook make this lure the "leader of the pack."

My lure color choice is generally white, but in silted water situations and environs that feature sandy shallows with shrimp and crabs, I move to a Spro bucktail that really shows up and matches the hatch- which in this case, is The Magic Bus model.

This lure proved to be a winner in Biscayne Bay for me yesterday. The conditions offered chilly water, high winds, and overcast skies. It became clear that in the vicinity I was poling around in that the fish were off the flats. The next step was to fish the flats edges and contours with a plug rod, while bumping the sandy dropoff with my shrimp-tipped Magic Bus.

My second retrieve was pounded on and my drag whizzed out for over 100 yards. After a 10-minute battle, I carefully eased a bonefish around 10 pounds alongside my skiff. I continued casting as I poled along the channel edges and picked up some jacks up to 3 pounds every other cast.

After an hour of casting with far too many jacks, I ran 2 miles and staked up my skiff uptide of a sunken boat on a sandy bottom. Before I started casting, I liberally eased bits of crushed crab and cut squid downtide over that structure for 10 minutes. My next step was to free-spool the Magic Bus almost to the wreck, then jig upwards. On my first retrieve, my rod doubled over and I reeled in a 3-pound mangrove snapper. The action over the next hour was basically non-stop and when the dust settled, I'd released about 30 snapper to 3 pounds and 3 permit to 12 pounds.

As I ran my skiff to port, that "life is good" feeling washed over me.


Jan Maizler
http://www.flatsfishingonline.com/
http://www.fishingfloridasflats.com/
http://flatsfishingonline.blogspot.com/

No comments: