Saturday, March 08, 2008

On Being A Ladie's Man....



Whether you call them ladyfish, chiro, or big-eye, this gamester has my vote as the top pound-for-pound inshore fighter-bar none! Think of Floyd Mayweather burnished in silver.

Yesterday was one of those lucky days when I found a huge school of ladyfish and spanish mackeral. There were no surface signs of feeding: my trial and error probing of a huge channel in 30 m.p.h. winds got me my bonanza.

The ladyfish went as large as 4 pounds-just about the same top weight as the largest mackeral-and outfought any possible inshore species I could think of. My tackle was a simple ten-pound spinner and some of the largest ladyfish would rip off fifty yards of line, climaxed by a three foot high jump. These feats could simply not matched by a snook, bonefish, or permit of the same size.

Anyone who has caught a four-pound tarpon on say, fly, knows that little gamester rarely gets you into your backing. Put another way, if ladyfish grew to fifty pounds and you tied it tail to tail with a same sized tarpon, who do you think would win that tug of war?

Jan

No comments: