Friday, June 12, 2009

Fine Friday....

Thankfully, I was able to wrap 2 articles this week so I could finally get to fishing for tarpon. The week before, I got washed out by a dawn deluge that gave way to blue skies by 10 a.m., but the bite was long since over.

I returned to one of my tarpon spots and the fish were there, but not in an eating mood. One non-conformist grabbed my offering and ran like hell, punctuating it with a water-clearing jump 100 yards away. I fired up my engine and slowly gained line. After twenty more minutes of maximum pressure, give and take and a few jumps, I released a fish of around 80 pounds.

By then, the the balance of the fish were spread out and sounding.

Back at the marina, the ramp was loaded with garish muscle boats revving in ready for a run to Bimini and back...for what? To say I'm faster? Yet I'm sure should they have thought about my angling obsessions, they would be scratching their heads too.

No comments: