Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tarpon (un)Signs and Breaking Bad Strategic Habits-

This morning, a mild front misted SOFLA: while its' gray clouds scudded to the northeast, I stood below and watched the flat surface of an inland bay. Not a darn tarpon was rolling.

I'd visited that locale recently and I knew there were no temperature drops to drive the fish away....so I fished the area patiently and was rewarded with 1 small jumped fish and another fish around 30 pounds, which I released.

I, for one, have to constantly fight the urge to move when I don't see rolling tarpon in a "basin" bay habitat. Thank goodness for my recorder marking fish- which gives me the traction to remain and work the area.

It's easier for the center console folks "blindly" drifting the Cuts and Penrod or Haulover beaches with shrimp- but for me, seeing cruising strings of fish on the deeper sandy stretches of flats or rolling singles on the grass flats is my mental bias. After all these years, I constantly have to remind myself that tarpon are not required to roll in order to be there.

Jan
www.fishingfloridasflats.com

No comments: