Saturday, February 19, 2005

Winter Thaw

It was good to be back in my skiff Friday morning. Two Miami months of chilly weather and my Hewes stayed on the trailer. A small cold front passed overhead as the sun rose yesterday. My engine took a good five minutes to cold-start. My quest was backwater tarpon in the creeks and canals of extreme North Biscayne bay. My plan was to deep-drop lures and mullet. I also wanted to test out the Bass Pro Shop Offshore Angler 12 pound spinning reels. The vapor lifted off the water as the sun rose cold. I tried 6 different spots, and not one fish rolled. I cruised up the Oleta River to cast for snook, but the water was the clear, cold, falling tide stuff that turned off the fish. I found myself dreaming about the warming springtime flats of the North Bahamas in windy March and Water Cay Bonefish Club on GBI. Likewise, dreams of the Salina on Rum Cay and unpressured bonefish. On the outside, slim pickings, but a mind full of fishy dreams, and gratitude about being back in my skiff.
Jan

No comments: