Sunday, January 29, 2006

More Reddened Recollections of Curacao






I confess to great feelings of ambivalence about this island as a traveler and angler. I've some people I'm quite close to near Punda, so awkward obligation colors the mix. For the same reason, I've stopped counting the number of trips there. The fishing I've done here is based on making the best of my stay. The reason for this is the decimation of the islands' biggest bay by the oil industry. The numerous snook and tarpon I've caught on plug tackle and artificials actually smelled like chemicals! This comes close to my definition of obscenity. If I had a dollar for every plastic bag or chunk of paper on the ground or roadside on this island, my fortune would be assured. Perhaps the strength of my feelings is based on a sad realization of the lost potential of this island as an angling destination. One need only look at Curacao's sister island of Bonaire to see how the latter's wise choices and clean practices makes the difference between eco heaven or hell. The snapshot is of a friendly Curacaoan lady selling fish brought in by Venezuelan fishermen. She was delightful to talk with, but I couldn't help but wonder how long those grunts and balao had been sitting around without ice- let's just say the aroma was, as Billy Bob Thornton put it in "Sling Blade", loud! For the non-angling traveler, there's much to enjoy in Curacao, but if you fish, continue on to Bonaire!

Jan

No comments: