Friday, September 18, 2009

A White Sport Coat and My Obfuscation

Well, boo hoo hoo- but here goes. Fresh from the ignominy of blowing last Friday by quitting before the morning t-storms had a chance to show what they'd do, I swore allegiance to purposeful perseverance regardless of what weather the dawn would reveal today. In addition, I prepared about a dozen outfits that would take on anything from jacks to mackeral to snook and tarpon- after all, everyone was trumpeting the mullet run. My exuberance was almost downright innocent- parted hair, clean nails, etc. (ugh).


I showed up quite early at the ramp and stuck around. I launched my boat in the dark amidst freshening winds which would later peak at 15 mph. The sliver of yesterdays' new moon had disappeared, promising very high water, what with the onshore breeze helping the rising spring tide right smack dab in the middle of yep, high fall tides.


Dawn attempted an appearance, but multiple showers blocked its' act. It rained here and there, so I dodged showers 'til I got some clear sky. The water was too rough to see any rolling tarpon, so I staked out where I thought they'd be. I jumped off a tiny fish on bait and then lost another high-jumping junior who blasted my red and white Yo-Zuri literally next to my skiff, then jumped and tossed the hardware seemingly at my face.


I saw a few jack schools hitting the beginnings of our mullet run, but they were too quickly on the move. I motored on to a grassflat in the hopes a catching a tarpon blindly, but the bay only gave up some snapper, seatrout, and small 'cudas. I felt justified packing it in and came back to the boat ramp where the piers were completely under water. Getting my skiff on the trailer was not the usual dry and crisp affair I like it to be.

No comments: