Friday, March 24, 2006

New Lure Field Test Reports

SPRO Company (www.SPRO.com/)
Dandinette Prime Bucktail/ Bucktail Jig
Sizes 1/4 oz., 3/8 oz., 1/2 oz.

I have been field testing this particular lure for the last two years, primarily in South Florida and Bahamian flats, inshore, and shallow ocean applications. I've always been convinced that the bucktail is the most universal lure for marine applications, but this particular product sold me on the concept. Here is a brief list of species I've taken on this marvelous bucktail:

Bonefish
Sea Trout
Pompano
Crevalle Jack
Yellow Jack
Blue Runners
Ladyfish
Tarpon
Snook
Spanish Mackeral
Cero Mackeral
Yellowtail Snapper
Mangrove Snapper
Barracuda

My favorite way to fish this lure is of course determined by the above species and their feeding mood and activity level in any given feeding situation. Generally in winter and early spring on open bays, I'll fish the deeper channels to access warmer thermoclines. I'll fish my SPRO bucktail in a bottom bouncing, swing-with-the-current retrieve. In very cold water situations, I use a piece of live shrimp tail section that I carefully thread up the hook WITH THE TAIL LAST. SPRO company has this lure available in many different colors, but I limited my field testing to the white model because of the preponderance of white/silver forage such as pilchards and sardines.

The field test results of the SPRO Prime Bucktail reveals that it is a premier bucktail lure. The large eye, realistic head, hookeye placement, lure dressing, and razor sharp Gamakatsu hook make it a must-have item in every saltwater angler's tackle box.

Jan Maizler

No comments: